During 1942 in Germany were working on creating a new type of light reconnaissance tank. The machine received the designation PzKpfw II Ausf L and the name of the “Luchs” ( “Lynx” -. It is sometimes referred to in the literature in Russian under the transliterated names and “Luchs”). According to the classification of vehicles through the new Wehrmacht tank appropriated designation Sd.Kfz. 123 . The tank is manufactured by «MAN» and «Henschel» in the period from September 1943 to January 1944. In total 104 cars were produced. «Luchs» participated in the battles on the Eastern and Western fronts as part of Panzer Aufklarungs Abteilungen (reconnaissance armored units), as part of Panzer Division (such as the 4th Panzer Division on the Eastern Front), as well as in parts of the Waffen SS. The front part of the tank body, sent to the Eastern Front, installed additional armor plates. A small number of PzKpfw II Ausf L was equipped with radios and antennas, and used as reconnaissance and communications tanks. Latest 31 “Luchs” received a 50-mm cannon KwK 39 L / 60 (Luchs 5 cm). It was planned to produce on the basis of “Lynx” recovery vehicles (it. Bergepanzer Luchs), but these projects have never been implemented. Along with Bergepanzer Luchs planned to release a model Flakpanzer Luchs, on a lengthened chassis, armed with 37-mm anti-aircraft gun, but this project was never realized. Today «Luchs» can be seen in England, Bovington Tank Museum.